Friday, February 24, 2012

Double down

I've been on staycation all week because it is February break for the kids I work with and I've been using the opportunity to get in quality workouts. The weather has been fantastic, yesterday it was 58 degrees and sunny. If I have to be stuck in NYC for a week, I can handle this weather. Today is rainy and cooler, but it is not a run day anyway.
Monday morning I went to the pool with Sally before she went to work and we bumped into our Wednesday swim buddy who was swimming long because he had the day off. We joined Paul for the tail end of what was 8,000 yards for him.  Wow. We swam about 3700 yards before Sally had to leave for work and I was starving. I was hungry and tired after that, normally I don't have time for more than 2000 yds in the morning before work. I had it in the back of my head for the rest of the day that I was planning on going back to the gym later that night for a yoga class at 8pm. Sometime around 5 or 6pm that began to seem impossible, but with some encouragement from running friends on twitter I hopped on the train and went to class. As usual I was glad that I did. I can't take that class normally, it gets out at 9:15 and takes me about 40 mins to get home at that hour. That is too late for me when I need to be up at 6:00 the next morning. I slept like a log that night and was sooooore the next few days from some new yoga moves and attempted binds.
Tuesday was busy all day without enough time to sneak in a workout, so I used it as a recovery day from the day before. Wednesday morning I swam again early and got in another 3,000 or so yards. I had ideas of running later that evening, but I spent the whole afternoon playing with a friend's new baby and didn't get home until late.
Since I didn't get to run on Tuesday or Wednesday, I took advantage of the magical weather and ran twice on Thursday. The sun was bright on Thursday morning and my run through Washington Heights and Harlem was perfect. I was in shorts and a long sleeve tee, but I pushed the sleeves up as soon as I turned off of Riverside drive and wished for short sleeves the rest of the run. I couldn't believe how nice it was, it was like an April day. I got in exactly 5 miles in the morning, but at a fairly easy pace (8:58 avg pace) with some big hills mixed in here and there. It was fun to see how many people were out and about on their way to work but also enjoying the sunshine. I hit the road again in the evening with my regular Inwood Hill crew for a solid 6.2 miles of tough hills with the 187th St stairs up to Fort Washington to top it off. The stairs have really gotten easier over the last few weeks, but they still leave us sucking air at the top. 120 stairs, damn. I was famished when I got home, which made me realize I should have eaten way more during the day to balance out the double runs. I pretty much stuffed my face from the time I got home until I went to bed. In fact, I still feel like I'm eating for it.
I did my usual Friday workout today but with less yardage in the pool because I was SO TIRED. I woke up from a deep sleep this morning and dragged myself to yoga (great class, as usual) and it took half of the 75 min class to wake up! Luckily, everyone else is also sleepy in that Friday morning class. I could barely lift my arms to swim butterfly this morning, but we still swam  a strong 2500 yards including 5x200 IM's. Typically we do a set of 200 IM's but they are 25 stroke/25 free instead of 50 stroke, but today we did that for 3 200's and regular old 200 IM's for 2 of them. WOW, those are hard. I can't believe I used to race that distance like it was nothing. Whew.
Needless to say, I am completely wiped out from this whole week, but in a great sort of way. I love going to bed completely exhausted from physical activity and sleeping like a rock. I did wake up with soreness in my quads and calves this morning, a soreness that I wouldn't normally have felt from doing either of those runs by themselves. It is only 5:30 and I'm already wondering when I can go to bed for the night... I have a big run in the morning, Shamrock Half is only a few weeks away!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes all of us need to have breaks between our trainings. I have read on about the special dietary supplement which claimed to keep your body toned even if you are not training for a while. I’ve tried it and was pleasantly surprised when my muscles almost did not sore after the first post-break training. Moreover, I was able to run as much as I used to before the break, and quickly increase my distances within the following runs.