Thursday, August 6, 2009

A weekend getaway

Time has slipped away pretty quickly this week! I took a nice restful trip up to the Adirondacks last weekend for some long distance swimming, hiking and really good food. I have a swimming friend who spends her summers up there and I finally made it up to visit. We took long, lovely 2 mile swims each morning in gorgeous Paradox Lake and did some hiking in the area. A picture of the view from the top doesn't do that place justice. It was silent up there, having lived in NYC for the last 4 years I forgot it could ever be that quiet. The air was so fresh and clean and clear and we had a delicious picnic and then picked about 12 cups of wild blueberries for pies. Yum.

It was definitely one of the best weekends I've had in a while! Now having lived in NH for a few years I learned to appreciate the clean mountain air and quiet nights, but I was biased toward wanting a lake house in NH, VT or Maine... I usually never considered New York as a place to keep a vacation home, but my opinion has changed entirely now. What a gorgeous state we live in! It's hard to remember that in the urine-scented days of summer here in the city, but I encourage everyone to get out and explore our gorgeous (and huge) state.
Here's a good starting point if you think hiking is too far away for a day trip- it's definitely not!

No comments:

Post a Comment