Sunday, January 9, 2011

Salvaging the weekend

I'm a creature of habit, I run on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and swim Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Sunday can be a toss up, a gym day or a rest day. Instead of running yesterday morning though, I got in the car and headed down to visit my grandmother in NJ because she's recovering from emergency brain surgery that she had the day after Christmas. I told myself I'd just do my run Sun morning, but when I came back last night after a draining day, I knew it would be slippery and icy and I'm not looking for an injury. I had plans with friends for brunch and a movie today, so I pushed the run to the afternoon. That's always a risky move, I lose motivation after like 2pm. I managed to rally because I was getting cranky without any outside time this weekend, so I hit the roads. I had no route or plan in mind, just run til it got dark and end at the car so I could move it to a garage for the winter months.
I took off and hit the Greenway with the sun beginning to set behind old George. I thought about my Nan who told us that she walked 25 feet or so in therapy this week despite not having any desire to do so, but she said she bucked up and just did it. I looked at the road ahead of me and thought about how hard it must be for her to see a point to all of this. She keeps saying that she'd rather just die than have to go through rehab. Whew, that's hard to hear, but I understand what she's saying, the bumpy road ahead looks insurmountable and she doesn't know if she has the strength for it. Who are we to argue? I let out some tears and sadness along the way and felt better as I tackled the hills in Inwood and turned towards home. I took the hilliest route I could find and felt awesome. I flew up hills that slow me down on occasion as if they weren't even there. The stress melted away and I bounced home feeling lighter and so grateful that I'm healthy and can put one foot in front of the other every day.
I'm on the trainer as I write this (obviously not going that fast) to get a little spin in the legs as I contemplate the year of tris that lies ahead. Is it Spring yet? :)
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comment: