Monday, December 21, 2009

Snowy Day Run

The Arches of Fort Tryon Park along the WSH

I wasn't the only one excited to get out for a snowy run yesterday, twitter was a flurry of excitement (no pun intended) about running in the snow! We lucky NY'ers were able to sleep in a bit and get out for a run after the parks dept and neighborhood supers were done cleaning the sidewalks and plowing the paths. What a bright and sunny and beautifully crisp day it was along the Hudson River! I took a run from the GWB down to 145th St at Riverbank State Park and then turned around heading north to Dyckman St along the greenway. On the way down to 145th I was flying along at an easy 7:35 pace thinking to myself "why does this feel so easy?" Once I turned around I realized why it felt easy...the crazy wind was at my back the whole way and was going to give me a run for my money on the way back north!! Whew!! Luckily it was sunny and the path was mostly cleared. I saw lots of people out walking, sledding, and even XC skiing! So much fun, I felt like I was back in NH. The trek home through Fort Tryon park was a bit tough because the giant hill at the north end of the park wasn't cleared and neither were most of the paths! Whew, tough going.
Well here are the pictures I managed to get along the way.

Ol' George standing tall against the Palisades
The little red lighthouse and the great grey bridge
So pretty in the snow..
View of downtown and the sparkling Hudson

New Leaf Cafe in Fort Tryon Park
The Greenway north of 181st...clear here
Suddenly not so clear!
The Pumpkin house smiling out over the Hudson
Sparkling Fort Tryon Park

2 comments:

  1. I should have joined you. I'm very close to the NJ side of the GWB. Instead I did 7mi on the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a gorgeous run! I definitely want you to give me a guided tour one day! (Will you pretty please?)

    ReplyDelete